Monday, September 24, 2012

I'm a real intern!

Forgive me for another late post!  The AYAVA house internet was wonky all weekend and I wasn't able to sign on.

As promised, a (somewhat) funny anecdote: about a budget hearing!  And let's face it, budget hearings are always a hoot, particularly four hour ones at the state capitol.

Never in a million years would I have expected my time as a missionary to be spent listening to the director of Texas State Health and Human Services describe his plans for the next two fiscal years.  The hearing started at 8:30, which is as much proof as anything that sometimes governments can be straight-up evil; I was there to hear my boss deliver his testimony about why the Kerrville State Hospital shouldn't be privatized at the end of the meeting, so I was in for the long haul.  Both of us had missed our coffee, and I was seriously suffering.  Finally, about ninety minutes in, my boss texted me:
Could you go get us some coffee?
I nearly fainted with joy.  Also fatigue.

He passed me the organization's card and I walked across the capitol grounds to the cafeteria.  As I stood there, filling two giant cardboard cups with mediocre coffee and trying to remember if he wanted sugar or cream, I had a realization.
I'm a real intern now!

I was so excited I texted both of my parents.

Blessings of Christ and coffee, and peace of the Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment