Wednesday, September 5, 2012

And so it begins...

I'm two days into my job at Grassroots Leadership and four bus rides into my foray in public transportation!  So far I haven't made any grave errors with either -- knock on wood.

My position at GL is somewhat ambiguous and so far consists of
   1) begin outreach to faith communities
   2) whatever else needs to be done.
Since my first day at the office was also the organization's first day in that office, "whatever else" spans a pretty wide range of things, from unpacking and breaking down boxes to getting quotes for business cards to shivering under my blazer because we haven't quite figured out the climate control yet.  Luckily there are only three of us, which means that I can always find something that needs to be done (and I already know everyone's name!)

My biggest fear going into a new job was that I would feel incompetent; it didn't help that I had no idea what I'd be doing until I actually got there.  My anxieties were only exacerbated by the fact that I'd be taking the bus to get there -- until yesterday morning, I had never taken a public bus before and I've rarely ridden public transportation at all, much less alone.  I never thought that riding a bus would be a religious experience, but the last week has truly taught me what it means to pray without ceasing: not just "dear God, help me get off at the next stop" or "dear God, we almost hit that man!" but "dear God, thank you for courage and reliable bus routes."  And, of course, we are fully equipped for everything God calls us to do and I am fully equipped for my new job, even for finding out what that means.

I'm going to plan on updating on Wednesdays and Sundays from here on out.  No promises...the best laid plans...

Peace of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment