Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Joshua 1:8

"Never stop reciting these teachings. You must think about them night and day so that you will faithfully do everything written in them. Only then will you prosper and succeed."


I got a double retrospective this week: my parents visited over the weekend and I spent the last 23 hours in Sarasota, FL, where I started college.  And it was doubly strange to look back on the various ways I had expected my life to turn out compared to how it is now.  I didn't graduate from the school I wanted to, I don't live where I wanted to, I don't have the job I wanted.
I had a couple conversations with old friends about who is doing well, who is successful.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to hear people cite money or a career (or at least a chance at one; we're in our early twenties, after all).  I'd like to think that success is more philosophical, less quantifiable, but I can't give a solid definition.  I want success for me to include an active role serving God's people, a healthy community, a life stable enough to raise a family, and eventually the family to go along with it.
Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd count myself as successful, even by my very loose definition.  My current position isn't sustainable -- it only lasts for a year -- and I certainly don't have anywhere near the resources to support anyone but myself (and I can just barely do that).  But I want to think of myself as successful, not just someone floating through life.  Does it count if you're only on your way to "success"?  Can success mean following God's path, even if that path leads somewhere most people, or for that matter anyone, wouldn't classify as successful?
I hope you'll all pray for me as I grapple happily with these questions and maybe give me some guidance.
Peace of Christ!






3 comments:

  1. 1 Corinthians 1:18-31
    Do what ever job you have with earnestness and love and it will be recognized.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's one of my faves. You're successful because you're loved. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQi_IDV2bgM

    ReplyDelete